December 3, 2022

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project, SERAP, says it will sue President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration and some governors over the flood ravaging parts of the country.

Reportedly, in the last few weeks, IsL had disclosed how flooding has wreaked havoc on communities across Nigeria, leading to the deaths and displacement of many people.

However, source has gathered that the Minister of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management and Social Development, Sadiya Farouq said over 2.5 million people had been affected by the flood.

According to Sadiya, of the figure, 1.3 million are displaced, 2,407 persons are injured, and 603 persons are dead.

She added that about 121,318 houses have been partially damaged, 82,053 totally destroyed; 108,392 hectares of farmlands were partially damaged and 332,327 hectares of farmlands were totally destroyed.

Farouq insisted that there was enough warning and information about the 2022 flood, stressing that states, local governments and communities appeared not to take heed, IsL source reports.

SERAP in a post on its verified Twitter handle on Wednesday said it would be approaching the court to pursue accountability on how trillions of ecological funds have gone down the drain.

The organisation added that it would ensure justice for the victims.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
2 Comments
Most Voted
Newest Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
2
0
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
()
x