Fire eats up warehouse in Kano market, N100m goods destroyed
The Kano State Fire Service have confirm a fire incident that occurred in the early morning of Tuesday, razing a storey building used as a warehouse in the state’s commodity market, popularly known as Kasuwan Singer.
At the time of filing this report, IsL is yet to get a first hand information on the cause of the incident, but traders in the building attributed the cause to an electrical spark.
A source, an accountant, who works in the warehouse, known as Mumza House, Abdulkarim Ibrahim, said goods worth over N100 million were destroyed by the fire, IsL source, Vanguard reports
He said the warehouse was filled with goods such as biscuits and chewing gum.
Another trader, Muhammad Sani Danlami, whose shop is along a corridor upstairs, said the fire started from upstairs and it was a result of an electrical spark.
He said he lost everything in his shop as he could not rescue anything from the shop.
“The fire started from upstairs. It razed the warehouse completely. Unfortunately, it was just last week that five trailers of goods were offloaded in the warehouse,” Danlami said.
Saminu Yusif, the spokeman of the Kano State Fire Service, noted that operatives of the service has been deployed to the scene as soon as he got the distress call
“We received a distress call on Tuesday morning at about 09:00 am from one Abubakar Muhammad. Upon receiving the call, we deployed our men to the scene of the incident where it was discovered that a storey building was engulfed by fire.
“The fire razed the goods in the upstairs part of the warehouse. But we were able to control the fire from escalating to other neighbourhood shops.”
No life was lost nor injury recorded.
The Vice Chairman of the singer market, Bashir Yusuf commended the prompt response of the fire service, neighbours and good samaritans which prevented the fire from spreading to other nearby shops in the market, IsL source, Vanguard reports